Marriage Licenses/Civil Unions

All persons wishing to be married in the State of New Hampshire must complete a Marriage License Application with any City or Town Clerk regardless of their place of residence. This includes out-of-state residents. Once the marriage license is issued, the couple is free to marry within any city or town in the State of New Hampshire within 90 days. There is no waiting period in New Hampshire so you are welcome to get married the same day as application if desired.

The town clerk asks that anyone who wishes to fill out a marriage license to please be here at least one hour before closing to ensure proper documentation is completed.


What do we have to do?


-Both individuals must appear at the same time in the Office of the Town Clerk.

However, if either party (or both) is a member of the armed forces, he or she shall forward an affidavit of marriage intentions, prepared by the armed forces legal representative, to the City Clerk, if he or she cannot appear in person.


-Proof of Age and Valid Photo Identification. (Drivers license, state issued I.D., passport)


-If either party has been married before we need a copy of a final divorce decree of their last marriage. If there was a death of a spouse, we need to see a certified copy of the death certificate. Documents that are not in English must be accompanied by a translation that has been signed by the translator. A notary must witness the translator’s signature.


How much does it cost?


The cost is $50 payable by cash, check, or money order made out to The Town Of Seabrook



Age requirements and relationship

A male or female who has reached the age of 18 can marry without parental permission.

A female between the age of 13 and 17 years and a male between the age of 14 and 17 years can be married only with the permission of their parent (guardian) and a waiver.

A female below the age of 13 and a male below the age of 14 are not allowed to marry under any condition.

Marriage is not permitted in New Hampshire between people who are related by blood as first cousins or in any more direct lineage.



Any person shall be guilty of a Class B Felony if he/she willfully and knowingly makes any false statements on an application for a certified copy of a vital record (NH RSA 126.24).


Once I am married, How do I get proof of my marriage?

After you are married, The Officiant who married you has six (6) days to return the completed license to the issuing town clerk. We ask that you call the Town Clerk’s office to ensure that we have it before you make the trip here. We will issue you a marriage CERTIFICATE in order for you to prove that you were married. The fee for this is $15 for the first copy, and $10 for each additional copy. Proper identification is required.